50th Blog

The Beatles 50 Years Ago Today : June 12, 1964 (Friday)-

The day after they landed on Australian soil, The Beatles flew from Sydney to Adelaide in a chartered Ansett ANA jet, arriving at 11.57am.

An estimated 200,000 people lined the 10-mile route between Adelaide Airport and the city centre in the hope of seeing The Beatles’ motorcade. More than 30,000 surrounded the Town Hall, where they met the city’s mayor, James Campbell Irwin, along with council members and their families.

The Beatles were given toy koala bears. John Lennon told the reception, “Wherever we go, anywhere in the world, this reception which Adelaide has given us will stick in our memories.”

The group was shadowed by local DJ Bob Francis from 5DN, who interviewed them in a range of locations including the Town Hall balcony. Francis also booked the suite next to theirs at the Southern Australia Hotel, from where he gave listeners hourly updates.Three hundred thousand people welcomed us to Adelaide. It was like a heroes’ welcome. George waved too. That was the kind of place where we would go to the town hall and they would all be there in the centre of the city. If it had happened suddenly, overnight, it might have gone to our heads; but we had come up bit by bit, so it didn’t (not too much). We were just very pleased that everyone had turned out.We were still close enough to our Liverpool roots to know how it would feel, and what it would mean, if we had showed up in the middle of town to see a group; so we could feel it in their spirit. I think we quite enjoyed it all. It can get a bit wearing, but it certainly wasn’t then.We came in from the airport – it was the same in Liverpool for the première of a A Hard Day’s Night, with the whole city centre full of people – and the crowds were lining the route and we were giving them the thumbs up. And then we went to the Adelaide town hall with the Lord Mayor there, and gave the thumbs up again. In Liverpool it was OK, because everyone understands the thumbs up – but in Australia it’s a dirty sign.

Comments (0)
The Beatles 50 Years Ago Today : June 11, 1964 (Thursday)-

On June 11th 1964, the three Beatles and Jimmy Nicol traveled overnight from Hong Kong to Sydney, arriving down under at around 7:30am. Despite the heavy rain and winds, the Beatles agreed to be paraded on a flatbed truck so that their fans waiting at the airport would not be disappointed. The Beatles waved at the huge crowd in the early morning storm, becoming literally soaked. As the Beatles would later learn, caused by the downpour, the caped coats which they had purchased in Hong Kong unfortunately stained their bodies a pale blue. Luckily this discoloration hid underneath their clothing while in public.

Dick Lean, managing director of Stadiums Limited, would later remember about the Sydney press conference: "They were just brilliant, under any circumstance. They handled the press with a sharp reparte that we'd just never seen before." The Beatles had once again charmed the all-important press. An editorial in Sydney's Sun newspaper proclaimed: "Their press conference showed that teenagers are not necessarily fools when it comes to picking winners. One cannot 'ready' a press conference. Questions are asked and answered off the cuff very quickly... they showed considerable insight into the secret of their own success."

The following press conference was held at the Sheraton Hotel in Sydney, marking their June 11th arrival down under, with Jimmy Nicol.

Comments (0)
The Beatles 50 Years Ago Today : June 10, 1964 (Wednesday)-

A New mono mix of "I'll Be Back" was prepared between 10:00 and 11:00 in studio two at Abbey Road this morning - in the Beatle's absence, of course.

The Complete Beatles Chronicle - ML

Comments (0)
The Beatles 50 Years Ago Today : June 9, 1964 (Tuesday)-

Princess Theatre, Un Chau St. Kowloon, Hong Kong

Two "houses" at the 1700 seater Princess Theatre in Kowloon. Beatlemania was evident even here in the Orient. Neither performance here was sold out, principally because of the high ticket price, HK $75, set by the local promoter without the knowledge of Brian Epstein. Equivalent to £4 10s (£4.50) at the time, this was the average working man's weekly wage in Hong Kong.

The Beatles had left Amsterdam during the morning of June 7th and flown back to London where they took a connecting flight, conveniently delayed to allow for their switchover, and set out for Hong Kong. The plane made several re-fuelling stops at Zurich, Beirut, Karachi, Calcutta and Bangkok and at each airport terminal, at any time of the day or night, and irrespective of whether one or more of the Beatles actually alighted the plane, Beatlemania erupted. Then, when the plane landed at Kaitak Airport in Hong Kong more than a thousand fans were on hand to greet them.

Back in England, meanwhile, George Martin supervised new mono mixes of "A Hard Day's Night" and "Things We Said Today" and the copying of two sets of A Hard Day's Night mono mixes for dissemination to Capital Records and United Artists Records in the USA ("I Should Have Known Better", "If I Fell", "Tell Me Why", "And I Love Her", "I'm Happy Just To Dance With You", "I'll Cry Instead", "Can't Buy Me Love", and "A Hard Day's Night").

The Complete Beatles Chronicle - Mark Lewisohn

Comments (0)
The Beatles 50 Years Ago Today : June 8, 1964 (Monday)-

BBC re-broadcasts 'Around The Beatles'.

Brian flies back to London and announces that Gerry and the Pacemakers will star in their own Christmas show.

Vara TV (Holland) screens the 5 June 1964 recording.

Comments (0)
The Beatles 50 Years Ago Today : June 7, 1964 (Sunday)-

On the morning of 7 June 1964 The Beatles flew from Amsterdam to Hong Kong, a journey which took in refueling stops in several countries and lasted more than 24 hours.

The group first flew back to London Airport where their connecting flight was postponed for an hour to allow them to catch it. Once they were on board the BEA 10.15am flight to Hong Kong began.

The aeroplane made scheduled stops in Zurich, Beirut, Karachi, Calcutta and Bangkok before arriving in Hong Kong. At each airport terminal hordes of fans turned out in the hope of seeing The Beatles, regardless of the time of day or whether the group actually left the plane.

In Beirut local police used fire-fighting foam to hold back hundreds of fans who broke through security and invaded the runway. In Karachi Paul McCartney was mobbed while buying souvenirs at the airport at 2am, forcing him back onto the aeroplane. The only stop which held no drama was at Calcutta, where they managed to disembark for a cup of tea at 6am on 8 June.

Comments (0)
The Beatles 50 Years Ago Today : June 6, 1964 (Saturday)-

Vellinghal Op Hoop Van Zegen, Veilingweg, Blokker, The Netherlands

Two shows in an auction hall in Blokker, 40 km north of Amsterdam, near Hoorn, a 2:30 matinee attended by only 2000 fans and a 7:00 pm performance for which all of the 7000 tickets were sold. The Beatles appeared on stage at 4:30 and 10:05 pm respectively, following eight support acts, and played for around 25 minutes each time. Typical of so many of the group's latter-day concerts, the evening performance was filmed, in this instance by television news and newsreel cameras.

Comments (0)
The Beatles 50 Years Ago Today : June 5, 1964 (Friday)-

Cafe-Restaurant Treslong, Vosselaan, Hillegom, The Netherlands

The Beatle's first duty in Holland following their 1:00 pm arrival and press conference at Schiphol airport, Amsterdam, was to tape a performance for VARA-t, one of the group's best television appearances of all. For this they were driven south, to the town of Hillegom, near Haarlem, arriving around 4:00 pm at this restaurant with theatre facilities often hired by TV companies. Rehearsals began at 5:30 and recording at 8:00.

The program fell into two distinct sections. In the first part, members of the 150-person audience put some questions to Herman Stok, who was seated among them. Stok then fed the questions by microphone/headphone to Berend Boudewijn, seated in the theatre's bar area with the Beatles, Boudewijn translated them into English and the group responded.

The second part was a music performance - the Beatles miming to EMI recordings but adding new vocals on top if they felt like doing so because the microphones were left open. (Their guitars were also plugged in, but no amplifiers nor new sounds were evident). They began with "Twist And Shout" then followed with "All My Loving" and "Roll Over Beethoven". During the next number, "Long Tall Sally", dancing members of the audience began to encroach onto the stage, they got even closer during "She Loves You" and by the time John, Paul and George began "Can't Buy Me Love" they were completely engulfed. Mal Evans, Neil Aspinall and Derek Taylor came on to clear the area but, being unable to do so, Neil directed the three Beatles to leave the stage. Meanwhile, because they were miming, the music continued in their absence, only Jimm Nicol remaining behind, seemingly determined to fulfil his job as the Beatle's temporary drummer even though the others had left.

The Beatles Complete Chronicle - Mark Lewisohn

Comments (0)
The Beatles 50 Years Ago Today : June 4, 1964 (Thursday)-

KB Hallen, Peter Bangsvej, Frederiksberg, Copenhagen, Denmark

Two shows (at 6:00 and 9:30 pm), each seen by 4400 people, kicked-off the Beatle's 27-day world tour, which spanned Denmark, the Netherlands, Hong Kong, Australia, and New Zealand. For the first five dates, Copenhagen through to Adelaide, Jimmy Nicol replaced Ringo Starr.

For the two Copenhagen "houses", and the following ten dates until they reached Wellington, their repertoire comprised "I Saw Her Standing There", "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "You Can't Do That", "All My Loving", "She Loves You", "Till There Was You", "All My Loving", "She Loves You", "Till There Was You", "Roll Over Beethoven", "Can't Buy Me Love", "This Boy", and "Long Tall Sally".

With the Beatles out of the country (except for Ringo, that is, who remained behind in a London hospital), George Martin and balance engineer Norman Smith were left with the task of completing the group's batch of recent recordings.

The Beatles Complete Chronicle- ML

Comments (0)
The Beatles 50 Years Ago Today : June 3, 1964 (Wednesday)-

Studio Two, EMI Studios, London

The Beatle's work at EMI Studios on this date can be separated into two distinct sections: 3:00-4:00 pm rehearsing and 5:30-9:30 pm recording.

The afternoon rehearsal, which was not taped, replaced a pre-booked 2:30-5:30 recording session and was swiftly arranged by Brian Epstein to familarize session drummer Jimmy Nicol with the Beatles and their material. Just a few hours earlier, Nicol had been pottering around his home in Barnes, west London, when a telephone call came through from George Martin, on behalf of Epstein, inviting him to become a temporary Beatle. Ringo had been taken ill during a photo session that monring and since he was now in the hospital it was clear that he wouldn't be going out on tour with the Beatles the following morning. With some urgency, Nicol was recruited as his temporary replacement.

So, Nicol went to EMI where, instead of recording, the three remaining Beatles ran him through a half-dozen songs in their present stage routine - "I Want To Hold Your Hand", "She Loves You", "I saw her standing there", "This Boy", later, John, Paul, George and Jimmy were on stage in Copenhagen, giving their first concert.

When Nicol left the studio, John, Paul and George remained behind to do some recording (documentary evidence that this session took place, and it's details, only came to light in 1991). In Ringo's absence, each of the three took the opportunity to tape simple demo versions of recent compositions. The resulting tapes were taken away either by the composers or by their music publisher Dick James, for they were deposited in the Abbey Road tape library, not then nor any time since.

George began the 5:30 to 9:30 pm session, recording a demo of a song entitled, "You'll Know What To Do"? Paul followed, taping a demo of a revised arrangement of "It's For You", in order that he could give Cilla Black for her exclusive release. The third demo was made by John, of new composition "No Reply". This would be issued later in the year on the album Beatles For Sale. John made this demo because he donated first use of his song to fellow NEMS artist Tommy Quickly, for release by him as a single. Towards 9:30 pm, John, Paul and George returned to EMI four-track recording, taping overdubs onto "Any Time At All" and "Things We Said Today".

The Complete Beatles Chronicle - Mark Lewisohn

Comments (0)
 First ... Previous 28 29 30 31 32 Next ... Last