Paul McCartney will headline the final concert at Candlestick Park in August, the former Beatle and San Francisco officials said Thursday, ending a back-and-forth drama that had the city competing against the 49ers for the right to play host to the music legend.
"Putting the rumor mill to rest, Paul has confirmed that he will indeed return to San Francisco Aug. 14 to play Farewell to Candlestick: The Final Concert," a statement on McCartney's website said. City officials later confirmed the news. "We just kept pushing and were persistent and drove the deal down the field," said Phil Ginsberg, director of the city Recreation and Park Department, which operates Candlestick. Tickets will go on sale May 5. It was not immediately known how much they will cost. Mayor Ed Lee personally invited McCartney to close the Stick when the former Beatle played at the Outside Lands festival in Golden Gate Park last year.