Rare photos of The Beatles, including precious images discovered on a film found inside a camera belonging to the band’s official photographer after he died, have been pulled from sale. Auctioneers were poised to sell a collection of more than 40 Beatles images at Cuttlestones in Wolverhampton on 16 August.
The upcoming sale had attracted global media coverage in recent days. However, a spokesperson for the auction house today told Amateur Photographer that the images have been ‘temporarily withdrawn' at the request of the vendor who wanted to remain anonymous. The ‘significant' archive includes 34 shots that had remained undiscovered in Derek Cooper's camera until 10 years after the photographer's death in 1983. It was to have been the first time that prints of the negatives were offered for sale on the open market. It is not known whether the auction will be rescheduled.
Listen to the Audio Version of this News Story details
Back in early 1973, Paul McCartney was experiencing a new peak in his post-Beatles career. His song “My Love” reached the top of the U.S. music charts, and he was tapped to offer the first rock music theme song for James Bond film “Live and Let Die.” But McCartney also faced problems. Sir Lew Grade, who controlled half of the publishing royalties for McCartney’s songs, was threatening the star with legal action for the somewhat questionable crediting of his wife Linda as co-writer of the tunes. In order to avoid a court showdown, McCartney agreed to star in a one-shot special for Grade’s ATV in return for Linda receiving songwriting royalties.
But the resulting special TV special, “James Paul McCartney,” was something of a mess. “James Paul McCartney” was divided into 11 segments that were either wrapped around a single tune or a skein of songs. The bulk of the production was shot in controlled environments, with applause tracks occasionally added later; a single segment was taped before a live audience. Although details
French rocker JOHNNY HALLYDAY is hoping to finally crack the international markets by releasing a duets album featuring the likes of SIR PAUL McCARTNEY and STEVIE WONDER. The singer is a music icon in his homeland and Francophone nations, but has so far failed to gain the same recognition in the English-speaking world.
He is now heading to Los Angeles to record a new English-language album, and is eyeing collaborations with a number of superstars in a bid to win over new fans. The 70 year old tells Leparisien.fr he will start work on the record after an upcoming family holiday in the Caribbean, adding, "I will then be working on the record in Los Angeles. Duets, I hope, with Paul McCartney, Stevie Wonder, Bon Jovi and others. (It will be) an album for the United States and England, which will come out in France too." Hallyday has previously released English albums including Johnny Hallyday sings America's Rockin' Hits in 1962 and 1994's Rough Town.
Listen to the Audio Version of this News Story details
Somewhere between three and four o’clock on a Monday morning in April 1968, the telephone rang in the little office at RCA Records in Los Angeles where an obscure singer-songwriter named Harry Nilsson was keeping his usual nocturnal hours. ‘I was half asleep,’ Nilsson recalled. ‘A voice says: “Hello, Harry. This is John. Man you’re too f***ing much, you’re just great. We’ve got to get together and do something.”
‘I said, “Who is this?”
‘I said: “Yeah, right, who is this?”
‘“It’s John Lennon. I’m just trying to say you’re fantastic. Have a good night’s sleep. Speak to you soon. Goodbye.”
‘I t details
John Lennon is having a moment. Again. More than three decades after his untimely death in New York, the Lennon legend lives on in not one, but two plays being performed in Liverpool this month. And while John Power is taking on his first acting role – playing the ex-Beatle at the Royal Court – Daniel Taylor is preparing to be John Winston Lennon for the third time.
Writer Ian Carroll’s play One Bad Thing – which suggests while Mark Chapman may have fired the bullet that killed the music icon, he’d been manipulated by darker state forces who wanted Lennon off the scene – is at the Liverpool Actors Studio Theatre in Seel Street after being performed there three years ago. Daniel, who appears ahead of an autumn tour with Blood Brothers, also took on the same role a decade ago when the work was first premiered in the city.
Source: Liverpool Echodetails
Staten Islanders enjoyed the music of The Beatles performed by many talented cover bands during the second annual Beatles Blast held at the Richmond County Ballpark in St. George.
Close to 5,000 fans packed the ballpark on a beautiful summer evening to hear the Fab Four's most popular hits.
"Beatles music is music for the ages," he told the crowd. "We are all young at heart tonight." Sponsored by the Borough President's Office and the Northfield Bank Foundation, the night also promoted awareness of autism. Borough President James Molinaro was proud to use the evening to focus on a serious issue.
Photo Credit: (Staten Island Advance/ Bill Lyons)details
This Feb. 11, 1964 image provided by the David Anthony Fine Art gallery in Taos, N.M., shows a photograph of George Harrison taken by photographer Mike Mitchell during the Beatles first live U.S. concert at the Washington Coliseum.
Mitchell’s portraits of the Beatles are the centerpiece of a monthlong photography exhibition at the gallery. This marks the first time the images have been shown since their unveiling in 2011 at a Christie’s auction in New York City. (AP/David Anthony Fine Art, Mike Mitchell)
Source: Jakarta Post
Photo Credit: (AP/David Anthony Fine Art, Mike Mitchell)details
Beatles legend Paul McCartney made a lifelong dream come true for a cancer-stricken fan by calling her when she was admitted in the hospital. McCartney called the terminally ill woman, who had left city government to become a top official at the MTA, to fulfil her life-long dream, reported the New York daily News.
Susan Kupferman and McCartney's wife, former MTA board member Nancy Shevell, were friends. "I wasn't on the call but I'm telling you, Paul called. He is a great guy," said mayor Bloomberg. Kupferman, 54, was in the final stages of cancer and died on June 26.
One mistake and your reputation is shot. Dick Rowe was one of the pillars of the Decca label, but he has gone down in history as "the talent scout who turned down The Beatles." A sin of a different nature was committed by Vee-Jay Records, the Chicago firm that in 1963 signed a contract to release The Beatles' records in the United States. But it lost that license to print money out of mere fecklessness.
Early in 1963 Capitol, the California branch of EMI, didn't want to know about The Beatles, or even how to pronounce their name. Despairing of making any progress in the matter, EMI ceded its masters to Vee-Jay, which was trying to sign a balladeer, Frank Ifield. The Beatles came as part of a two-for-one package.
The Beatles saga is portrayed as a triumphal march, but it might have ground to a halt on several occasions. In spite of Vee-Jay's good relations with Chicago radio, the first Beatles singles hardly got any air time. Faced with this lukewarm reception, they delayed their first LP, Introducing... The Beatles .< details
After close to 300 Beatles appearances at the Cavern Club, spanning two and a half years, this was the last! The venue had played perhaps the vital role in preparing them for "The Big Time" and now that time had come. Bob Wooler, the Cavern Club compere, remembers Brian Epstein promising that one day the Beatles would be back, but it was not to be.
Tickets for the performance went on sale on July 21st at 1:30 pm and by 2:00 pm were sold out. The Beatles fee was £300 - The first time they played at the Cavern it was £5.
Source: Beatles Radiodetails