-A promotional film for The Beatles song, Let It Be, is broadcast on UK television, on the program "Top of the Pops."
Back on this date in 1963
The Beatles at the Regal Cinema, St. Aldate Street, Gloucester, Gloucestershire
1961 - The Beatles perform at Mossway Hall, Croxteth, Liverpool and at the Liverpool Jazz Society.
Today Paul McCartney returned to Abbey Road for a brief session having finished recording his debut album McCartney on February 25, 1970. From then he prepared artwork and the release schedule.
The only song listened to on this occasion was Oo You. McCartney listened to both the eight-track and stereo mix, which had been previously prepared at Morgan Studios.
Today a shoot took place at the Talk Of The Town, a popular cabaret venue situated at 10 Cranbourn Street near London’s Leicester Square. The venue was renamed the Hippodrome in the early 1980s.
A new mono mix of the song Sentimental Journey had been prepared at EMI Studios on March 13th. The mix omitted one of Starr’s vocal tracks, allowing him to sing live during the shoot. Starr varied the lyrics slightly during his performance, and ad-libbed some words over the applause at the end which was accompanied by the Talk Of The Town Orchestra, conducted by George Martin.
UK and US flags were hung on either side of the stage, and male and female dancers joined Starr onstage. Not to be outdone, towards the end of the clip backing singers Doris Troy, Madeline Bell and Marsha Hunt were lowered from the ceiling on a platform.
The cover photograph for the Sentimental Journey album was also taken on this day. It depicted Starr in a blue suit, standing before the Empress pub at the end of Admiral Grove, Liverpool. The image was actually part of the backdrop used in the video.
Sentimental Journey - Today a new mono mix of the title track of Ringo Starr’s debut solo album Sentimental Journey was made.
The session took place from midday to 1.30pm.
Today George and Pattie Harrison moved to Esher, Surrey in Friar Park. It was a Victorian mansion in Henley-on-Thames, Oxfordshire and had 120 rooms including a ballroom and library, plus towers and parapets.
The neo-gothic mansion had been purchased by the Harrisons for £140,000 in January 1970. Friar Park was set in 35 acres of gardens which included an underground boating lake and a 20ft replica of the Matterhorn mountain. Friar Park also nicknamed Crackerbox Palace, became Harrison’s main residence until the end of his life.
In 1889 the house was bought by Sir Frank Crisp (1843-1919), an eccentric lawyer and horticulturalist who lived there until his death. It was sold at auction to Sir Percival David, but following his divorce was donated to be used by nuns from the Salesians of Don Bosco order.
By the late 1960s the mansion was in a state of disrepair and due for demolition, and Harrison needed to undertake extensive renovations to make it a home. The gardens had been used as a local dump, and were overgrown with ivy and brambles.
In the first few months the Harrison and their guests lived with no heating, furniture or beds. They slept in sleeping bags in the grand hall, with a constant fire burning in the huge fireplace.
The Harrisons were joined by their friends Terry Doran and Chris O’Dell, who helped them make the building inhabitable. Despite the conditions, the residents found it an enchanting place to live in and explore, and gradually it became a welcoming home for their many visitors.